Sunday, July 2, 2017

Avoiding Credit Card Surprises


Many times we have witnessed travelers with piles of merchandise at the checkout counter have their credit cards declined. They did not alert their card company prior to an international departure.

On a business trip to Venezuela several years ago I notified MasterCard of our plans. Two days after our return I had an odd cell call as the voice read off my full name. Stopped in my tracks this individual had my attention as I rarely share this tidbit with anyone.

Her position was with the MasterCard fraud department. She inquired if I had returned from Venezuela as scheduled. Yes, we did. Therefore I did not purchase $1800 at a men's store in Medellin, Colombia earlier today, correct?

I assured her I had not, but there was a brief layover in Medellin on our return flight to the states. I purchased a novelty pen for my father in an airport Khios. The retailer had difficulty with the transaction and I should have walked away. Instead I allowed her to printing my number on the store receipt.

Making a mental note to check my bill later, in retrospect I should have snapped a picture of the nice older lady. My credit card was canceled and a new one in route. The following months I was asked to review each statement and sign affidavits concerning the bogus charges.

Another issue, the individual has pin ready to with drawl a stash of local currency from the ATM but the financial institution prompts an alert of unusual activity in a foreign location. The ATM does not return the card holding it hostage until the bank reopens. 

This occurred before Smart Chip Technology. Today I login to MasterCard and Visa / Chase, Citi, Barclay, etc. to search for the travel notifications category. It's so convenient to use the calendar and type in the countries one plans to visit. I also double check each card for any mention of foreign transaction fees.

We usually speak to an American Express representative that assures us there is no need to inform them of our upcoming international plans. I will carry their card on this next trip, and hope not to experience an embarrassing declined card situation while purchasing numerous native knickknacks. If so, I’ll pull out my informed MasterCard. One does not wish to deprive friends and family a functional souvenir trinket like a pen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for your comment and please check back soon for new posts!